Tamil Nadu’s N Jagadeesan leapfrogs Rohit Sharma with a record-shattering knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
Tamil Nadu wicket-keeper batter Narayan Jagadeesan is showing utmost consistency with the bat in the ongoing Vijay Hazare Trophy. He has been in the form of his life, and a glimpse of such was seen when he played against Arunachal Pradesh on Monday, November 21.
Jagadeesan took Arunachal’s bowling attack to the cleaners, smashing his 5th consecutive List-A century and becoming the first cricketer in the world to do so. Not just this, Jagadeesan made full use of the purple patch as after bringing up his century in just 76 balls, the right-handed batter went on to hit the next 100 runs in just 38 balls.
Further, Jagadeesan added 77 more runs to his tally to surpass Indian captain Rohit Sharma‘s highest score of 264 and also broke the record of the highest-ever individual score in List-A, held by England’s Alistair Brown. Jagadeesan finished with a historic knock of 277 off just 141 deliveries at a strike rate of 196.45, with the help of 25 fours and 15 sixes.
Jagadeesan broke several records with his mind-boggling innings, including a milestone held by Sri Lanka legend Kumar Sangakkara to hit the most number of consecutive tons in the List-A format. Here is the list of records that Jagdeesan broke during his whirlwind knock:
Highest individual List-A score:
- 277 – N Jagadeesan, (Tamil Nadu vs Arunachal Pradesh), 2022*
- 268 – Alistair Brown, (Surrey vs Glamorgan), 2002
- 264 – Rohit Sharma, (India vs Sri Lanka), 2014
- 257 – D’Arcy Short, (Western Australia vs Queensland), 2018
- 248 – Shikhar Dhawan, (India A vs South Africa A), 2013
Most centuries in Vijay Hazare Trophy:
- 5*- N jagdeesan
- 4 – Virat Kohli, Prithvi Shaw, Devdutt Padikkal
Most consecutive centuries in List-A:
- 5* – N Jagadeesan
- 4 – Kumar Sangakkara, Alviro Petersen, Devdutt Padikkal
Highest team totals in List-A cricket:
- 506/2 – Tamil Nadu vs Arunal Pradesh), Vijay Hazare Trophy 2022*
- 498/4 – England vs Netherlands), ODI 2022
- 496/4 – Surrey vs Gloucestershire), One-Day Cup 2007
- 481/6 – England vs Australia), ODI 2018
- 458/4 – India A vs Leicestershire), List-A 2018