Zach Wilson is not the answer at quarterback.
The Jets are a playoff caliber team that is being held down by a young QB that just doesn’t look ready on or off the field. Wilson put together one of the worst performances from a quarterback you will see. He was 9-for-22 for 77 yards in the 10-3 defeat to the Patriots. The Jets had more punts than they did points. More punts than first downs. More punts than Wilson completions. You just cannot win football games with that kind of ineptitude from the most important position.
The Patriots finally ran back the first punt for a TD this NFL season, doing it in the final seconds to take down the Jets. From a chance at first place at 7-3 to 6-4, last place in the AFC East and out of a playoff spot. What a sad turn of events. To break down the loss, Wilson’s play, lack of accountability after the game and where the team stands now, Brian Costello and I bring you a new episode of the “Gang’s All Here” podcast.
Gang’s All Here Podcast with Jake Brown & Brian Costello:
- ZACH RANT: I open the show venting my frustrations with Zach Wilson.
- NOT THE GUY: Zach does not look like the guy at QB. Where do the Jets go from here? Is Wilson on a short leash against the Bears next week? Do you consider Mike White?
- LOCKER ROOM: Garrett Wilson had strong comments after the game about the offense. While he didn’t use Zach’s name, it was clear he was not happy.
- COACHING: Robert Saleh is very much a player’s coach. He needs to show Wilson some tough love and consider putting White in if Wilson plays like this again. He always seems to excuse Wilson’s play instead of calling it out.
- STATE OF THE JETS: Beating the Bears is a must now. Jets are now out of the playoff picture after entering the day as the No. 5 seed. Wilson has to play like he did against Buffalo. Jets have to be better running the football. The playcalling was questionable Sunday, the offensive line was not good and the coverage on the punt was bad. This is a big week to make sure this 6-4 season does not take a downward turn.
Catch up on all episodes of “Gang’s All Here,” a New York Jets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Coz and Jake on Twitter @BrianCoz and @JakeBrownRadio. New episodes of “Gang’s All Here” drop Monday and Thursdays.