Team India are leading the three-match T20I series against New Zealand 1-0 after their emphatic victory in the second game. Suryakumar Yadav hit a terrific century and guided the Men in Blue to record a famous win.
The third and final T20I is currently underway in Napier , and ahead of the match fans expected India to make some changes in their playing XI with the likes of wicketkeeper-batter Sanju Samson and fast bowler Umran Malik getting an opportunity to play. However, the duo didn’t get the chance as Hardik Pandya, India’s stand-in skipper, announced only one change in the form of Harshal Patel replacing Washington Sundar.
Many experts were of the opinion that Umran, who is also celebrating his 23rd birthday today, might get a gift in the form of his debut against the Black Caps,as the tracks in New Zealand are ideal for the right-arm pacer. Nonetheless, Malik will, sooner or later, get to play for India in the shortest format anyway. So far, he has played three T20Is, in which he has taken two wickets.
On the occasion of his birthday, let’s have a look at some interesting facts about Umran:
- Umran hails from Jammu and Kashmir and is one the quickest pacers among those who are in line for a national call-up.
- Umran made his T20 debut against Railways in January 2021, where he picked up a three-wicket haul while conceding 24 runs. Whereas his List-A debut came against Bengal in Vijay Hazare Trophy in February 2021.
- The 23-year-old is only the fourth player from Jammu and Kashmir to play in the Indian Premier League (IPL) after Parvez Rasool, Mithun Manhas and Abdul Samad.
- In the IPL, Umran debuted for Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) in the game against Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) on October 3, 2021.
- Umran gained limelight during the match against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) when he bowled five balls in a row at more than 150 kmph.
- Umran made his T20I debut for India on June 26 2022, against Ireland.
- The pacer finished IPL 2022 as the fourth-highest wicket-taker (22) and was also gratified with the Emerging Player award.
- Umranbowled the fastest delivery of IPL 2022 when he clocked 157 kmph against Delhi Capitals (DC) in Mumbai.